TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
Mike McMonagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:59:20 -0500
Kathey,
        You have now discovered the joy of measuring three decimal
places with tools that measure out to four. Brian is correct in his
interpretation, though you find people that when presented with this
scenario will say that you round the third decimal up or down based on
the forth. They are wrong, you measure three decimal places pretending
that the forth one isn't even visible to you.

        It is fairly foolish to even concern yourself with the forth
decimal place when using such tools as digital calipers. If you look at
the specs for a common set such as the Mitutoyo Digimatic series, the
actual specs are resolution and repeatability of .0005", and an accuracy
of between .0010 - .0015" (depending on the distance measured). So the
fourth decimal is neat to look at, but doesn't really mean much....

Mike