TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:35:50 -0400
 J-STD-001 requires, for all product classes, that the manufacturer
ensure all components, parts, leads, wiring, terminals, and printed
boards are solderable at the start of the soldering process. As Ramon
suggests, the requirement is frequently pushed all the way back up the
supply chain to the manufacturer of the component. This is essentially
ignoring the requirement.

To properly understand the requirement you have to read clause 5.2 and
5.4 but in essence it requires the manufacturer to verify the
solderability of the components, then ensure that nothing between the
verification process and the soldering process degrades solderability.
There is a lot of ground between the manufacturer of the components /
boards and the manufacturers of the board assemblies.

So, what is the best way to deal with the issue? It's a question of risk
management. Everyone does what they think is best. I've seen these
requirements ignored by manufacturers. Sometimes they get burned. I've
seen manufacturers implement full blown SPC based inspection upon
receipt for all components. They are paying up front not to get burned
during production.

Others, test on the basis of history. Which is what the company I worked
for did, when it was my responsibility to meet the requirements of the
standard. Most of our problems were with PWB solderability, but
occasionally we ran into problems with components purchased through
distribution. The down side to this approach is you have to get burned
before you take action.

If you are starting from scratch, and can't tolerate much risk,  start
where there is trouble, boards, components with alternative finishes,
distributors or manufacturers. And qualify them one at a time. Build a
history. You might have to do that with some samples from 100% of lots
but eventually you should be able to document rational for trusting some
sources and not trusting others.