TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
Daan Terstegge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:46:59 +0200
I have the same problem for more than 3 weeks now, and it's definitely the
result of a worm (Blaster-A or Sobig-F probably) on a computer that has your
emailadress in it's adressbook. The guy that writes the "SitePoint Tech
Time" newsletter (a newsletter about webdevelopment) gets a bounced message
every 3 minutes, as you can read in the following excerpt from this
newsletter :

"I'll bet you didn't know I was sending viruses to all your friends! I'll
admit, it came as something of a shock to me as well...

Okay, so I'm exaggerating a little, but I know for a fact that a good number
of you Tech Timers out there are infected with the fast-spreading Sobig-F
virus. Like other recent baddies, Sobig-F is an e-mail borne virus that
impersonates people it finds in your e-mail inbox as it spreads, and quite a
few copies are being sent in my name from infected Tech Times subscribers.

How do I know this? Because quite a few businesses have wisely installed
anti-virus software on their e-mail servers that (somewhat less wisely)
informs the "sender" of a virus that the message was rejected. Since the
copies of Sobig.F coming from infected Tech Timers have my name on them, I'm
on the receiving end of all those warnings!

The problem was at its worst the day after I send out the last Tech Times,
when my e-mail address was sitting in many infected inboxes waiting to be
hijacked. As I write this, the warnings are at their quietest since I sent
out the last Tech Times, and I'm still getting an average of one every 3
minutes (that's more than 200 in the last 12 hours!). I expect them to flame
up again shortly after I send this issue, however.

So please, do me a favour. If you're not running up-to-date anti-virus
software, take a moment to read up on the virus, check if you're infected,
and disinfect your system with the free tools that are available from
reputable anti-virus firms.

If you haven't already, you should also protect yourself from Blaster-A, an
especially nasty new virus that bucks recent trends by spreading
spontaneously across the Internet -- no infected e-mail required! "

Daan Terstegge
http://www.smtinfo.net