LEADFREE Archives

September 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:20:15 +0300
Gordon

Lead sulfide is sparingly soluble in cold water, very roughly at a 1 ppm
level. This is not environmentally dangerous, as this quantity will
easily be captured by ion exchange in a few mm of earth. However, the
sulfide reacts with all acids as the covalent bond between hydrogen and
sulfur is strong, liberating H2S. Whether the resultant salt is
dangerous or not depends on the anion. I agree that HNO3 is quite
unlikely to be present in landfills unless they are chemical dumps or,
possibly, chemical fertilisers are added. However, acetic acid is a
different matter and is quite likely to be present if household or
industrial garbage containing vinegar, alcohol, fruits or sugar were
dumped. Lead acetate is quite soluble. It will also exchange readily in
soil for the lead to be fixed, so the real danger is negligible.

Brian