LEADFREE Archives

September 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:43:28 +0300
Gordon

This long rant is full of misconceptions and red herrings. Firstly
though, you have not answered why the FDA applies the European style
precautionary principle in an "undemocratic way".

Unfortunately, politicians often immix themselves into things they don't
understand and without the vision to analyse the "cradle-to-grave"
consequences and I include here the ecopolitical NGOs. Even less can the
public understand these issues. They are often driven by emotive words
rather than science. Democracy is therefore the last power in public
health and safety.

OK, to continue the argument. Let us hypothetically assume:
- that brominated flame retardants are believed to produce noxious and
polluting gases when burnt, without an absolute scientific proof
- that other flame retardants do not, at least to the same degree
- that the latter are equal in performance and cost effectiveness
- that some authority says that the brominated retardants should be
phased out within n years, working on the precautionary principle?

Do you have a problem with that? If so, what?

Now you say that it is not the brominated comounds that are at fault,
but the incinerators that should be equipped to handle them. I maintain
that this is impractical. To equip an incinerator with means to
eliminate the emissions of bromine compounds would cost every
municipality, say, $100,000 and that would not eliminate them, at all,
but transform them simply into a more easily handled form, such as
hydrobromic acid, rather than hydrogen bromide. So what are you going to
do with all this hazardous waste? This, of course, assumes that the
incineration is not done in burning landfills. Now, let's say there is
an average of 1 incinerator per 1,000,000 inhabitants in developed
countries with a total population of 1e9. The capital cost to the
communities in these countries will therefore be $100M and the running
costs (hefty maintenance and disposal of hazardous waste) probably
another $10-20M/year. A very heavy forfeit jusy to handle flame
retardants. The alternative? That the resin precursor fabricators
(probably only half-a-dozen in the world) change one compound in their
formulations so that there is no bromine in them. Capital cost? Minimal.
Running costs? Minimal. This is where my pragmatism lies.

As for choosing which compounds need the PP applied, as I explained
before, the decision can be made easily, in most cases, just by computer
modelling, requiring a PC and half-an-hour, for an estimation of the
basic toxicity.

Now let me cite an example of the successful and wise global application
of the PP. In 1974, Molina and Rowlands published the paper that earned
them the Nobel Prize for Chemistry about 14 or 15 years later, whereby
they hypothesised that CFCs could deplete the ozone layer. There was not
a scrap of scientific proof (that started to come in, in 1988). It was,
however sufficiently alarming that the USA and some other countries
started to ban the use of CFCs in most aerosol cans as early as 1978.
The Vienna Convention on the Ozone Layer was convened in 1985, following
Joe Farman's discovery of the so-called "ozone hole". It culminated in
the signing of the Montreal Protocol on 15 September 1987, an
internationa agreement, based uniquely, at that time, on the
precautionary principle, laying down measure to limit the emissions of
CFCs, by a phase-down. When the little items of proof started to trickle
in over the ensuing years, it was realised that the PP measures were
largely insufficient and the Protocol had to be urgently tightened to a
more rapid and complete phase-out. Yet, if we had waited for the proof
before any measures were taken, then it is certain that we would be in a
  much worse condition today than we are. This has certainly saved
countless lives.

Brian