LEADFREE Archives

September 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:55:16 +0300
Gordon

You are right that there is a very fundamental difference between
precautionary approaches in the USA and most of the rest of the world,
including your northern and southern neighbours. I invite you to study
http://www.kslaw.com/library/pdf/reachpaper.pdf carefully to obtain a
better understanding of the legal semantics.

However, even in the USA, you are not consistent, in that the FDA
applies the precautionary principle à la nouvelle européenne to new
pharmaceutical products.

However, I try to be more pragmatic in my approach. I gave the example
of nPB because it is a substance that I have been working with for a
number of years and I tried hard, unsuccessfully, to get it included in
the Montreal Protocol. I did get the Parties to the Protocol to issue
precautionary warnings. Why did I target this substance? Because it is
an ozone depleter (of admittedly unknown potential) and because applying
knowledge of analogue substances shows that there is a strong risk of
toxicity which would make it unsuitable for unrestricted use in
industry. At about the same time (actually a year earlier), and for the
same reasons, I also targeted chlorobromomethane. This was introduced
into the Protocol and thus banned in 1999. It may be coincidence, the
four major countries that produce nPB just happen to be the most
vociferous in their opposition to any negative restrictions but only the
least important of these produced the CBM. The EU have finally
announced, a few weeks ago, they may introduce a proposal for an
amendment to phase out nPB next year.

Without conducting animal tests (to which I'm somewhat opposed where it
is not 100% necessary), it is possible to judge an approximation of the
toxicity of a new substance by computer modelling the metabolic
processes and judging the toxicity of the metabolites, as well as by
simple analogy, the same as modelling may judge its environmental
comportment in the atmosphere, soil and water, to some extent. It is
therefore relatively easy to judge whether the risk be high or low in
well over two-thirds of the cases of new substances, at least
sufficiently to take most of the arbitrariness out of whether the
precautionary principle should be applied or not. As these relatively
new modellings improve, so will the arbitrariness be reduced, perhaps to
the stage when no testing will be required. At the moment, the
confidence level of the results is somewhat less than unity.

However, toxicology of industrial substances is not the be all and end
all of the subject: the epidemiology is just as important and can reveal
things missed by the tox studies. In a totally different sector (and
still under study), the triple vaccine given to babies may possibly
cause autism in a small number of patients. It is known that the three
vaccines, administered separately, have an extremely low rate of
complications, but combined, well, who knows? Epidemiologists are not
sure about the cause and effect relationship, mainly because of the
possibility of confounding factors, but this possibility would never
even have come to light without epidemiological statistics. In view of
the doubt and the seriousness of the potential complications, one would
think that it may be better to give the three vaccines separately,
applying the precautionary principle. Some health authorities have
accepted this, others have refused. Why?

Finally, I should say that I'm 100% opposed to REACH. This is not a
pragmatic approach to an existing problem, but a massive bulldozer
trying to bury the problem under a bureacratic mountain, so that it can
never see the light of day. Any law which requires 2,000 pages to
explain it is so inept as to be not worth the trees chopped down to
print it (where is your environmentalism now?). If you subscribe to the
journal Circuit World, you will see an article written by your
not-so-humble servant on this very matter in the issue due out on 23
January 2004, entitled 'REACH for your gun'. In it, I argue that the
European printed circuit fabrication industry will be stifled out of
existence if REACH were to be promulgated as proposed in the draft.
After the consultation period, the EU counted a record 6,400-odd
contributions, the majority negative. Yet very few of these came from
the electronics industry, a major user of chemicals, and I found none
from the printed circuit industry (I'm not sure of the complete lack, as
many contributions were in languages unintelligible to myself, and I may
just have missed one or two in the mass of comments). For the anecdote,
a manufacturer of a popular adhesive for attaching SMDs mentioned that
the new proposed safety sheets on some products may need to be 500 pages
long!

So my viewpoint is summarised: reasonable but pragmatic safety without
bureaucracy.

Best regards,

Brian