LEADFREE Archives

September 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:45:46 -0500
Hi IPC-LF Listservers,

Hey I had to correct the spelling below and add a
little to this potenially good, yet slightly flawed
example. This principle used by the EU applies to much
more than electronics. Hormones in cow feed, medications
and piles more.

<To give my take on this based on an example. Let's say
<that you had reason to believe and some science behind
<the idea that being a fighting-boxer damages the brain.
<You would do something about it before you actually had
<received full 5 10 and 20 year data. Now you do have to
<get some data, and other requirements also apply e.g.
<you as a Nation might not want to be known as non fighters
<and stop Max Shelling?? from fighting.  Now this is a poor
<example and Gordon can probably pick this example apart
<YET Hey it is the best one I can think of fast.

The name above is actually spelled (per my USA book,
 which might be different those in Germany, Denmark, etc)

Max Schmeling 12 June 1930 over USA Gene Tunney
 who had taken out USA Jack Dempsey

Ingemar Johansson 26 June 1959 over USA Floyd Patterson
 who had taken out USA Rocky Marciano is another example.
 (Hey I saw this fight)

So when applying the precautionary principle the politicians
in the EU countries have to take into account economics, social
expectations and a pile of other factors. E.G. It can't be used
specifically as a trade barrier, and it can't stymy progress
or continuous improvement.

Yes Doing Nothing is also part of this principle and is in
the official EU write-ups.

Off Hand I don't think (yet I could be wrong) that the
precautionary principle was used to reduce lead in materials
and processes.

The real question or wonder I have, which I think GordonD,
CA-Joe, Tin's Kay, and others touched on now and in August
of 2001 on this Listserve, is did they really do their science
work which is supposed to be part of the EU process on each
replacement material they will be using to displace lead;
and this flame retardant.

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave