TECHNET Archives

August 2003

From:
Edward Szpruch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:37:49 +0200
Tony,
By the other hand, there are few crucial issues of applying SMOG :
- adhesion considerations. SM adhesion to immersion gold is not so good as
to copper.
- number of termal treatments the PCB is exposed after application of SM -
SM curing and depends of what was choosen for notation ink - curing of the
notation inks. Each termal treatment degradate solderability of the ENIG
finish - Gold layer is really very thin ( 0.05 microns ) and as the name
implicate : this is immersion process, so the underlaying Ni layer is not
really sealed and protected against oxidation. Apart of those, I really do
not know what Phosporous is doing during such termal cycles, but there is
possibility of P migration into NiP layer with all possible drawbacks of
this.
Edward

Edward Szpruch
Eltek Ltd
P.O.Box 159 ; 49101 Petah Tikva Israel
Tel  ++972 3 9395050 , Fax  ++972 3 9309581
e-mail   [log in to unmask]