TECHNET Archives

August 2003

From:
Tony Steinke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:45:44 -0400
Werner, Bev,

The soldermask process prior to ENIG plate is very critical(poor vacuum
during exposing, developing, improper cure, poor oven ventilation,
soldermask design, etc) and with my experience is probably a major cause of
the black pad syndrome. We process all ENIG boards as SMOG (soldermask over
gold). This eliminates alot of potential problems(yes, some may argue it is
a band-aid), but we have not experienced 1 panel with the black pad
syndrome. The cost is a bit higher but it certainly out weighs a
dissatisified customer(especially when you are building high end boards).

Tony Steinke
AIT-Atlanta Inc.