TECHNET Archives

August 2003

From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:25:36 -0400
Hi Ramon,

The old weight gain meaurement technique came up short because it was based
on the the assumption that the moisture is evenly distributed inside the
component. In real life this is almost never the case and moisture ingress
takes the form of a gradient that is either slowly moving in or out of the
package, depending on the changes in ambient conditions. It was also
determined that the location and concentration of that gradient is really
the critical factor in terms of causing internal damage during reflow.

The new moisture diffusion model is simply based on good science that has
been validated with experimental studies. I suggest that you read the
following paper if you want more information on this subject :

"Handling of Highly-Moisture Sensitive Components - An Analysis of
Low-Humidity Containment and Baking Schedules." by Shook and Al., Lucent
Technologies, ETCT 1999.

Many of the key rules and tables that are found in J-STD-033 are based on
the above research.

This paper can be downloaded from the MSD Knowledge Base at
www.cogiscan.com. Click on the MSD logo, then click on "List of publications
and other references" and scroll down the list by chronological order.

Regards,
Francois Monette
Cogiscan Inc.