TECHNET Archives

August 2003

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 07:31:51 -0700
Dave: The obvious answer is that the soldermask is not properly bonded to
the board. The adhesive strength of the CM8 to the soldermask is nowhere
near the bond strength of the mask to board. My first guess would be there
is some type of surface contamination between to board and soldermask
causing this.

A couple of questions to better answer your question:
1. What type of soldermask is it?
2. Is it coming off the laminate, immersion silver or both?
3. If you apply the CM8, allow to cure and peel off without wavesolder does
the same thing happen?
4. Is it possible that screw/nut/heatsink are fracturing the mask in some
fashion causing it to lift?

Regards

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer