TECHNET Archives

August 2003

From:
Natasha Erker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:12:12 +1000
** Proprietary **

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, and would firstly like to say how enjoyable and
informative it is reading all of your comments! I'm hoping that someone
can help to shed some light on the topic of water soluble solders and
cleaning methods. I've been doing a lot of reading on this topic, but
it's all really a lot of information.

Please forgive me if some of my questions sound stupid, but I have very
little experience in this area, and a process engineer I am not!

A bit of background: We currently use no-clean solder on a particular
assembly. Unfortunately, this assembly requires conformal coating, and
it does not adhere sufficiently to the no-clean flux residues.
Therefore, we wish to make the move to a water soluble solder. We only
produce small quantities of these assemblies (~350 per week) and do not
wish to spend a small fortune on the transition.

1) Are water soluble solders safe to use with surface mount devices? As
far as I can tell, they have mostly been used with through hole, as the
small gap of SMD does not allow water to penetrate it when cleaning, and
thus the highly corrosive residues remain trapped beneath.

2) What is the difference between a saponified resin flux and an
organic acid flux? What other types of fluxes do WS solders use? Which
is preferable?

3) Will ionic cleanliness testing provide an indication if the cleaning
process is effective? I believe that ROSE testing is not directly
aplicable to non-rosin based fluxes, but would ROSE, in conjunction with
Ion Chromatography provide useful data? How would be best to monitor the
cleaning process to ensure it is in control?

4) What types of batch cleaners are available? Will an industrial dish
washer provide sufficient pressure to clean SMD with WS solder
assemblies? What price range would I be looking at for an 'effective yet
cheap' cleaner?

I really do appreciate any assistance or guidance! Thanks in advance,
and I look forward to your replies!

Kind Regards,
NaTasha Erker

Compliance Co-ordinator
Crystalaid Manufacture

Kind Regards,
NaTasha Erker

Compliance Co-ordinator
Crystalaid Group of Companies
171 Robertson Street
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
AUSTRALIA
PH: +61 7 3872 7719
FX: +61 7 3257 1693

email: [log in to unmask]
web: www.crystalaid.com

This communication may contain information which is confidential
and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s),
please note that any distribution, copying or use of this
communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.
the sender immediately and then destroy any copies of it.