TECHNET Archives

August 2003

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:47:15 -0400
Larry,
Good points. We only use the ole "dip and look" when really pushed to the wall. And it is a tad difficult to do it for 0402's and filters with solderable pads of 0.5 mm x 0.5 mm!

We use a wetting balance outfitted with a globule block and expect wetting forces to be > 25-33% of theoretical maximum and want a T2/3FMax < 1 second. We have had "fights" with suppliers because the wetting balance is not in J-STD-002A and J-STD-003 (I forget the rev) as a test with defined pass/fail criteria. I am using the IEC solderability specs more and more and the Far Eastern suppliers seem less likely to baulk at me using the balance, although there are still issues with my pass/fail criteria. Obviously this device is not used for BGAs and CSPs. For those we use the IPC S test.

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion