TECHNET Archives

August 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:12:45 +0300
Kay

Thanks for this explanation. But is it not a dangerous distinction?
TBBPA is, as far as I'm aware, used only where TBPA is part of the
prepolymer formulation, namely in epoxy resins and polycarbonates. What
is used in other laminates, such as polyimides? Why is there such a fuss
about bromine-free laminates if there is no political pressure? If it is
just a "green" action (IMHO, justified), then why is TBBPA excluded,
when we do have non-brominated substitutes already available?

I'm just perplexed why a probably environmentally favourable action
(Br-free laminates), with scientific backing, should be pooh-poohed by
the IPC when it actively promotes an environmentally unfavourable action
(Pb-free solder) without a scrap of scientific evidence as to the
sustainability.

Brian