LEADFREE Archives

August 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Reuven ROKAH <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:40:56 +0300

Hello All,

Thanks for All the replys,

According JEITA (as per bellow) , the above alloy is recommended across the

line (Reflow - solder paste, wave - ingots, hand soldering wire and

components as well).

My question is why not to change the HASL from 63/37 Sn/Pb to Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu

, the same as the Ingot alloy in the wave soldering bath.

The HASL process is relatively simple comparing to the other chemical /

electrolytic processes (not for HDI PCBs).

Regards

Reuven

    The following types of solder are recommended.

     Board assembly:(Recommended) Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu

•     Reflow: Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu > Sn-Ag > Sn-Zn-Bi

•     Wave: Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu > Sn-Cu

•     Hand: Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu

     Components:

•     Solder balls (Recommended): Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu

•     Land finish (Recommenced): Plating/Au, Solder precoat/Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu

Best  Regards

ROKAH Reuven

Chief Engineer

ECI Telecom LTD.

Operations Division

30 Hasivim St. Petah-Tikva 49517

                 ISRAEL

Tel: 972-3-9266734    Mobile:972-55-786734

Fax: 972-3-9266480

e mail: [log in to unmask]

                      Bob Willis

                      <[log in to unmask]         To:      [log in to unmask]

                      O.UK>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [LF] Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu

                      Leadfree

                      26/08/2003 16:33

                      Please respond

                      to "(Leadfree

                      Electronics

                      Assembly

                      Forum)"; Please

                      respond to Bob

                      Willis

No we are missing the point here the question was what is the most common

PCB surface finish, there is a reference to levelling. I would suggest that

hot air levelled boards are not the most common finish for lead free in

Japan?

Or is this just a translation thing?

Although a little old now IPC does have a couple of technology roadmaps

from

Japan they were offering that does have finish data for lead free from

other

surveys of the industry, Kay I think covered ii in her survey in Europe as

well.

Bob Willis

2 Fourth Ave, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 4HA

Tel: 01245 351502

Fax: 01245 496123

Mobile: 07860 775858

Email: [log in to unmask]