LEADFREE Archives

August 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:03:04 +0300
Gordon

Your essay is too long to reply point by point. My main concern is with
ozone depletion. Most bromo-organics and molecular bromine reaching the
ozone layer will cause something like 50 to 70 times as much ozone
depletion as chloro-organics (e.g., CFCs), halogen molecule for halogen
molecule. Methyl bromide, which I mentioned earlier, is a case in point.

OTOH, bromocarbons usually have a shorter atmospheric residence time
than the corresponding chlorocarbons, as the weaker bond strength
between the C and Br atoms make them more subject to decomposition in
contact with atmospheric hydroxyl groups. This may produce a successive
simplification of the molecules, some of which will produce ionic
bromides which will mostly rain out, often as hydrobromic acid.

A typical residence time of a bromocarbon would be a matter of days. For
example, depending on the hydroxyl concentration and some other factors,
that of n-propyl bromide (1-bromopropane) is 10 - 25 days. The transport
time of molecules to the tropopause is weather, latitude and
season-dependent, fastest in violent thunderstorms (an hour or so), then
in the intertropical convergence zone (one to six days) and least in the
polar regions (months). In the tropics, the tropopause is already in the
ozone layer, but there are several transtropopausal mechanisms that can
effect a transfer of molecules more or less rapidly into the
stratosphere, where the bulk of ozone depletion occurs. One atom of
elemental bromine in the ozone layer will catalyse the mean destruction
of an estimated 1 to 2 million ozone molecules. The UNEP Science
Assessment Panel of the Montreal Protocol has noted a stabilisation of
chlorine levels in the ozone layer, but bromine levels are still
increasing, despite controls on halons and some other bromo-organics.

My main concern is therefore that ALL bromocarbons should be used with
circumspection. As long as flame retardants are bound in a polymer
matrix, there is no danger. Allow the bromine compounds to be pyrolysed,
and a veritable soup of organic and inorganic compounds may be released.
Some of these will inevitably reach the ozone layer, even if it is small
in percentage terms. This percentage will be highest in the tropics and
lowest at the poles, but will still be significant at mid-latitudes.

Apart from that, my secondary concern is the local effect close to
places where uncontrolled incineration takes place. There is no doubt
that most bromides and simple bromocarbons are very phytotoxic and
zootoxic to lower organisms (this is why bromine compounds are used in
smaller quantities in swimming pools and why methyl bromide is used as a
fumigant and pesticide). It is known that haloacetic acids are
detrimental to the growth rate and crop yield of plants of the order
leguminosae, as they inhibit nitrogen-fixing nodule formation, even in
ppb atmospheric concentrations. This, in turn, will lower soil fertility
with crop rotation. Trichloroacetic acid is the most common cause, but
tribromoacetic acid would be just as effective and probably more so,
although, of course, chlorine is more common than bromine.

The effect on humans and higher animals of various common bromine
compounds is fairly well documented. They are all toxic and many
bromocarbons are neurotoxins and reproductive toxins. Unfortunately, we
know little of the effects of most of the more complex molecules. We
have seen that iso-propyl bromide is a cause of reproductive problems in
both sexes in recent years and n-propyl bromide is a suspected
neurotoxin with several anecdotal cases amounting to paralysis occurring
in industry, despite precautions taken and low exposure levels.

I therefore suggest:
1. if other SUITABLE molecules are available for a job, brominated
molecules should be the last choice
2. adoption of the precautionary principle where bromocarbons are used
and restrict emissions to a minimum
3. adoption of the precautionary principle where bromocarbons are used
and avoid contact between bromocarbons and living organisms of all types
4. specifically, avoid using bromocarbons as PCB flame retardants where
other types are suitable.

Brian