LEADFREE Archives

August 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Munie, Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:37:55 -0500
All:

Sorry for entering this debate so late. The virus/worm has put me out of
business for awhile.

I'll pose this question to any interested parties re halogenated vs non
halogenated laminates. (and maybe get lots of e-mail flying about.)

It was my understanding that the reason for banning the halogenated
materials was to reduce/eliminate the formation of halogenated
dioxins/furans that might be formed in an un-controlled (or poorly
controlled) incineration/materials recovery process.

Now anyone who's been following the news has heard that dioxins/furans are
"the most toxic" materials that exist. However, from what I have read in
journals such as Environmental Science and Tecnology they also appear to be
formed in forest floor debris. And have been found in bentonite clay
deposits that date from way before the pre-industry (pre-human even!) era.

It also appears that the data (out side of toxicity to test animals) that
human exposure data (including the Agent Orange and Italian release at
Seveso) seem to indicate that these materials are much less of a danger than
predicted from lab tests.

My question is: Has the scientific rational behind this ban been questioned?
Is it simply enough to say the material is toxic at some level to animals
and accordingly ban an entire class of materials that do provide for human
safety?

I hope someone out there has real data on this, i.e. not like the "data"
that promted "lead free." Is this an issue of real substance?

And I welcome any comments and clarification on my description of the
dioxin/furan issue.

Greg Munie