LEADFREE Archives

August 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:38:21 -0500
Hi JoeF, and IPC-LF Listserve,

<-----One snip from Joe's excellent soliloguy ---->
 Soliloguy for those challenged or those from another
 country means a long personal talk to oneself in
 OH! OH!! so dramatic and wordy a manner. I Love them,
 and do them often without an audience.
<------

<On the other hand, as I continue to read and research the matter,
<I am becoming ever more certain that the negative impacts of
<leadfree are real on many levels. I will also be many years finding
<comfort owning a product having leadfree solders from a reliability
<standpoint. This is based on the assessment of leadfree given by
<experts whose opinions and admonitions I have come to trust
<because on their long records of being correct.

Yes CA-JoeF,

You are right I guess, and so is our initial poster with his
Arsenic and Old Lace argument yet both of you forgot the
challenge and the learning.

We, as a community, have to make this new thing, even if
lesser, work and relearn forgotten engineering. Just look
at us relearning creep failure, and what creep even is,
grain boundary deformations, structures and what not.

An engineering friend of mine a long spell ago once upon a
time pondered, "Why when an engineering solution reached
the peak of tradeoffs did the engineering community take
it backwards". "Because they were the new kids on the block
was the answer". And maybe they were poooor engineers.

By the way some times the new kids were right.

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Leadfee Mail List provided as a free service by IPC using LISTSERV 1.8d