LEADFREE Archives

August 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Peter Lymn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:59:51 +0100
1. This is not correct. With the alloys and settings we have been using the
finish is bright and uniform. Interestingly the XRF measurements for a given
setting (and appearance) are better. Sounds like your supplier was not
experienced. The only significant challenge we have seen to date is that the
lower superheat demands pre heating with thick boards. Conventionally
vertical systems do not use pre heat.

2. I don't understand these comments. The dissolution rate of copper into
Tin slows down as the copper content rises. To maintain the copper
concentration below 0.3 using SnPb demands daily 'skimming' or dilution and
it is easy to overshoot the limit if daily analysis is not made. Our
experience with SnCu and SnCuNi to date is that topping up with pure Sn or
SnNi (to replace the metal transferred to the board) maintains the alloy
within specification. This seems to correlate with the experience of wave
soldering machine users I have spoken to although they do suffer tin
depletion due drossing; something that does not happen with a correctly
operated horizontal or vertical leveling system.

 Organic contamination of solder is not something I have experienced in the
30+ years I have operated and manufactured Solder coating machines but it is
true that other metals readily alloy with tin but I don't see the problem
being significantly different with the lead free alloys on our HASL
equipments.