TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Mel Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:55:58 -0500
David,
It's been a while since I've used hot bar soldering.
There was a requirement to minimize the lead deflection to reduce residual
stress which would pull the lead out of the solder connection during
operation. The limit as I recall was 2T or 2 times the lead thickness.
Other than that the standards required a "documented process, available for
review", and no lead deformation beyond the physical damage limits (as I
recall 10%) where they were contacted by the hot bar.
Pictures - there was a series produced by Martin that had some definition
but the criteria was all based upon similar content for gull wing (assume
that these are gull wing) components regardless of the method of reflow. Not
much different. IPC-A-610 has the solder and lead placement characteristics
also.

Good luck!
Mel

Mel Parrish