TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
"Jason W. Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:31:19 -0500
To help with your first question.....I would do a sample inspection on a
reel to see if the SOT is loaded in the tape upside down. If it is not, it
is flipping during tape pull-back. Are you using HSA or PSA tape? If you
are using PSA, then the adhesive may be mis-registered and grabbing the
part somehow.

For your second question, I would never allow tape and reel for even 50 mil
parts and definitely not 20 or 25 mil.

Jason Gregory
SMT Production Supervisor/
Integrated Product Team Leader
LaBarge Inc.
(918)459-2367
(918)459-2221 fax
http://www.labarge.com

                      Howard Watson
                      <Howard.Watson@AM        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      ETEK.COM>                cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  [TN] SOT 23 placed upside down
                      <TechNet@listserv
                      .ipc.org>

                      07/09/2003 11:16
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to Howard
                      Watson

Dear Technet folks,

I am obviously not following the search protocol properly for the
information that I need, so I'll just post my Q's anyway.  First question
relates to a problem I'm experiencing with some SOT 23's that get placed
upside.  This occurs on multiple machines/feeders, and my hunch is that the
component somehow is flipping upside down in the pockets while in the
feeder.  Anyone have experience with this problem?  I did change the laser
centering parameters so that it gets rejected now if it's upside down, but
I'd like to figure out the root cause.

My second question is regarding QFP components in trays or tape & reel - is
there a standard or recommendation for putting fine pitch QFP's in trays
verses tape & reel?  In other words, are 25 or 20 mil pitch gull wing QFP's
OK to be supplied in tape & reel, or should they be in trays to avoid lead
damage?  We always get these components in trays, and I figured it was to
protect the leads, but now I wonder if tape & reel is fine.  I'm sure it
depends somewhat on the feeders, and their ability to deliver the
components without damaging the leads.  Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.

Howard Watson
SMT Manufacturing Engineer