TECHNET Archives

July 2003

Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:36:22 -0400
Steve,

If you can get your hands on a curve tracer it can very quickly tell you a great deal about the condition of your parts.  Running a powered device curve trace is even better.  You'll almost always be able to see defects like EOS / ESD / opens, and shorts.

With a datasheet and a known good part, you're all set.  First, see what a known good part looks like, then compare your "dead soldiers" with those waveforms.  It's a little tricky to learn how to use and interpret the CT display, but it can be priceless when it comes to determining what's going on in situtations exactly like the one you describe.  Any outside lab around you is also likely to have one, and for most parts, even a large BGA, it doesn't take more than an hour or two.

Decapping is a valueable tool, but most often we do that after curve tracing has given us some indication where to go looking inside the package and on the die.

Bruce Tostevin
Benchmark Electronics
Hudson, NH