TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Charlie McMahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:39:11 -0400
Helo Frank:

It is difficult to tell without seeing or testing product. Some of the holes appear to have very low contact angles and others have granular solder. In this case, I would suggest two problems that might be linked.
1. Contaminated solder / solder paste
2. Excessive intermetallic.

The first case might lead to higher than normal soldering temperatures or extended times that may generate thick intermetallic layers.

If the bare board surface finish is suspect, we would have to look at an unsoldered board. The problem could be thin gold, thick gold ( > 0.3 microns ) or some form of contamination from the solder mask process.

All speculation without seeing the boards.

Probably not much help but I will try to do better with more information.

Regards

Charlie McMahon