TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
"Dehoyos, Ramon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:59:07 -0700
        There are more than one way to secure the TC on the board. In some
cases the boards are very expensive and scraping one is not an option.
Based on posts on the list and personal experience the best way is using
higher temperature than eutectic solder  to secure the TC.. Another way is
using Kapton tape. If you are careful and run a board, after it has been
reflowed and cooled off, a second time with the TC attached at the places of
interest,  a very close representation of the profile will result. It is
important that the TC do lay flay on their own on the board. In other words
form them so they stay on the board without having to force them down on the
board. The Kapton tape gets soft with heat and the adhesion gets weakened.
If there is any springing on the TC, the TC will win and it will pull away
from the board. The thermocouples wires have to be routed so they will not
interfere with components, specially BGA. Since everything will reflow
again, It is very important that all wires stay clear of components and not
move them. Either way kapton or high temp solder, it is easier if you run a
board that has all the parts reflowed and has cooled off, this way you don't
have to worry about disturbing parts as you place the TCs.  As long as you
run the board only two times is still usable.
        Regards,
        Ramon