TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Michael Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:52:11 -0700
Daan,

There are only three serious, independent content aggregators of such
databases. They are Partminer (www.partminer.com, who by the way bought
CAPS/CAPSXpert from IHS a few years ago), I2 (www.i2.com), and Siliconexpert
(www.siliconexpert.com). All have searchable content, pdf datasheets,
parametric data, and all are integrateable, or should be, with internal
systems. Each also have their strengths and weaknesses. Some distributors
also have content but it's either a repackaging of data from one of these
three vendors or or self-managed and limited to their linecards - again,
strengths and weaknesses abound.

For conversion of customer BOMs, you probably also want to look in to
cleansing and part matching software/capabilities as well. Some of these
vendors (and others) have that, or their partners do.

Best Regards,
Mike Kirschner

> Can anyone point me in the direction of some commercially available
> component-database applications ?  We want to have a database with all
> sorts of components information, like manufacturer partnumbers, shapes,
> values, packaging, PDF-datasheets (or links to them) and much more. The
> idea is that designers, test-enigineers, production engineers,
> purchasing and logistics all have acces to the same source of
> information, so that several processes can be streamlined. One of the
> main issues is the quick and error-free conversion of a customer's bill
> of material to a partslist with our own partnumbers and vendors.
> The software that I'm looking for should have possibilities to
> interface with MFG-PRO  (our MRP-system).

---
Design Chain Associates LLC - Building Competitive Advantage With Design
Chain Knowledge

www.DesignChainAssociates.com