TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
"Jason W. Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:47:56 -0500
Another interesting article regarding copper-filling microvias.

http://www.enthone-omi.com/electronics/pdf/CAApril03CooksonCopperFill.pdf

Jason Gregory
SMT Production Supervisor/
Integrated Product Team Leader
LaBarge Inc.
(918)459-2367
(918)459-2221 fax
http://www.labarge.com

                      Carlr Ray
                      <Carlr.Ray@SANMIN        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      A-SCI.COM>               cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  [TN] BGA Viods
                      <TechNet@listserv
                      .ipc.org>

                      07/02/2003 10:18
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to Carlr
                      Ray

Hello All,
  I have a question (more like a poll I guess), concerning voiding of
BGA devices.
  I have PBGA 480 IO paremeter grid device and I am seeing lots of
voiding. Per the x-ray I am well within the IPC spec of 35% but I am
still having failures at ICT (OPENS). Once I reviewed the profile I
noticed we were not hitting the dewell time for flux activiation
recommended by the solder paste vender (min 60 seconds) and we were
seeing an extended time above 183c. We have changed the profile but some
of my companions feel that the size of the pad and amount of solder
paste is effecting the voiding. I disagree with them and feel that not
activiating the fluxes and extended time above liquidous is a major
contibutor to the voids.
  So now my question, what impact does the pads have with the voiding
of the spheres on the BGA?

Carl Ray
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
Huntsville, AL 35807