TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Collins Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:15:09 -0400
Hey Steve!
OK, it fails ICT, but does it pass functional?  As another poster said
- probably a die change.  If I had a buck for every time the die was
rev'd but "it was an insignificant change"...  well, I could at least
buy something to drown my sorrows.

If I were a betting guy I would go with a design change to that part or
something connected.  Or maybe the humidity up there is throwing off
your ICT tester?  The odds of the IC manufacturer shipping you a batch
with a 6% pass rate is pretty slim.

Good luck!

regards,

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
Northrop Grumman Canada Corporation
Halifax
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/24/03 02:36PM >>>
Hi all!

We've been building an assembly here for quite a while, and just
recently
experienced quite a bit of failures at ICT with one IC. Out of 50
assemblies,
only 3 passed. The failures on the rest of them have been with one IC
at the same
location.

I've x-ray'ed the failed parts and don't seen any broken or missing
wire
bonds, so I wanted to take a look at the die area to see if I could
spot something
obvious.

-Steve Gregory-

> I have done this a few times with a 1/8" end mill. It is easier to
clamp it
> tight if you remove the leads first.
> I'm curious too.
> Charles

SEM?
> Or what is the purpose? Just curious. You should be able to pry the
top off
> with a sharp thin blade by inserting it in between top and bottom
part of
> the casing ( notice a line ) or perhaps saw the top off with a dremel
saw .
> The IC itself is in the bottom part of the casing in a recessed area,
so no
> damage will occur to it.
>         Regards,
>         Ramon

Either
> > means everybody is on vacation, or everybody is so busy building
stuff
> > without problems that they don't have any spare time...like to wish
that
> > was the case.
> >
> > Anyway, about Plastic IC Decapsulation, is that something I could
do
> > myself? If so, what sort of chemicals would I use? Or is this
something
> > better left to be done by the people who do that for a living,
like
> > failure analysis labs?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Steve Gregory-

in
http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for
additional
information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or