TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:59:19 -0700
Mike: I assume what you are looking for is temporary solder resist(TSR)for
wavesolder, applied by screen printing, that can be removed in your post
solder water wash operation; as opposed to an aqueous developable permanent
soldermask.
With that assumption and lack of any specifics in your questions let me give
you some inputs.

Probably the three biggest players for screenable, water soluble temporary
soldermasks are Techspray, Chemtronics and Kester/Techform . All have
websites. There are other suppliers but I don't believe they have screenable
water soluble products.

When selecting a TSR you should consider the following:
1. Screenability, ease of application.
2. Coverage, uniformity of the print, size of hole fill, etc.
3. Ease of screen cleanup.
4. Drying time/type,  air dry, bake, UV
5. Applied shelf life, how long after application before it starts to
breakdown.
6. Storage compatibility, does it start to absorb moisture, do the boards
"brick" together, require slip sheets.
7. If it's a mixed technology board can it be run thru reflow prior to
wavesolder without the TSR  breaking down. If not then you will need support
tooling to screen apply mask prior to wave because of the components on the
board.
8. Is the TSR compatible with the wavesolder flux, not breaking down in the
wave.
9. How soluble is it in your wash process, it should come off as early as
possible, preferably in the prewash if you have one.
10. If carried into your wash sump does it cause foaming and/or interfere
with the wash process.
11. Is it a filled system that leaves filler in your washer, pumps, filters,
nozzles. etc.

We have used screen printable TSR for over 25 years. The best one for "our
processes" I've come across and still use is from Cerulean Blue LTD. in
Seattle WA 206-525-8992. It has been marketed by a variety of suppliers over
the years Pacific Polycrafts, Alpha Metals and Dorn. We have also approved
Chemtronics W CW-1.

Regards

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer