TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Mel Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:18:38 -0500
How true.
I guess in the simplest of perspectives (something I'm better at) we are for
the most part creating a Tin - Copper interface.  From that perspective we
haven't changed anything, so why throw out the 50? years of development for
the implementation of Lead Free and elimination of lead in the mix?  It
still is Tin and we have plenty of that in lead free. We have variations in
the surface coverage/plating over the materials that we have always used.
The iron base lead types like alloy 42 and Kovar have all been around
forever.
I think that the key is visual appearances (repeat - doesn't look like it
used to) is an obstacle that can be accomplished with training.  The rest of
the criteria should still apply.

Mel Parrish
Director, Training Materials and Resources
Soldering Technology International
102 Tribble Drive
Madison, AL 35758
256 705 5530