TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:10:16 -0500
Hi folks! Guy - Mel did a much better response than I was going to put
together! You are right - having a great wetting angle(s) is not end-all
evidence that a good solder joint has been formed, just as having a bright
and shiny solder joint does not always indicate good solder joint
formation. However, many folks use the combination of wetting angles,
solder joint geometry, and surface topography as a set of solder joint
formation indicators. The Pbfree soldering process(es) will need to be
evaluated to understand if the same criteria we use today to "measure"
solder joint formation is going to still be valid. The 610 and 001
committees are working diligently to answer that question. We may need to
recalibrate ourselves - the introduction of immersion surface finishes has
force the industry to rethink having complete solder flow on a surface pad
as the HASL finishes have better flow but the overall solder joint quality
is the same.  Lots of work ahead of us!

Dave

|         |           Mel Parrish      |
|         |           <mparrish@SOLDERI|
|         |           NGTECH.COM>      |
|         |           Sent by: TechNet |
|         |           <TechNet@listserv|
|         |           .ipc.org>        |
|         |           07/17/2003 09:05 |
|         |           "TechNet E-Mail  |
|         |           Forum."; Please  |
|         |           respond to Mel   |
|         |           Parrish          |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [TN] High temp pastes for wave soldering...                                                              |

Guy,
We are in the process of looking at the criteria for 610 and 001.
Some thoughts-and discussion.
Much of the content and criteria for filleting accomplished to a
termination
is based upon physical properties of the termination or attachment. A case
in reference is the lack of requirement for a toe fillet in Gull Wing leads
per 001C, but the specification of a fillet in the Heel area even though
it's minimal. If in fact we did not have a heel fillet, the lead geometry
could contribute to a separation failure, even with adequate fillet
transition of the termination in other areas. Consider that all of the lead
configuration dimensions and design attributes commonly used today were
created for performance with SnPb alloys. We don't have lead designs
created
for Pb free specifically, and even if we did there is certainly a
significant number of combinations that would be necessary to cover the
field.
This being the case, fillets where fillets were required in the past should
still be required unless and until we have design definitions for each of
the lead/board/solder combinations that fall within Lead Free.
Surface appearance of the solder connection criteria went out of the
standards 20 years ago, so that should not be an issue except for education
of inspection when "it looks different" becomes an issue.
Fillet transition (commonly wetting) is still another issue.  We have used
Sn96 in production soldering for as many years as I've been in the industry
with success based upon the standardized criteria.  It is a Lead Free
alloy.
Should we, at this transition time, eliminate the criteria to say that
wetting to the terminations is not required? I certainly hope not.  In the
exception cases where fillets do perform in operation even though they
don't
wet to the surface (such as when Inert atmosphere is not employed or Flux
performance is minimal) there may be justification for exception to
standard
requirements, but at this time that might require sample testing to
determine the success of the metallurgy within the attachment.  Barring
that
we have the appearance of a fillet transition (wetting) to determine
success
of the process to attach to the surfaces involved. It's still a good
indication for the ability of the surface to accept the metallurgical bond.

Best regards,
Mel

Mel Parrish
www.solderingtech.com