TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Mel Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:48:04 -0500
I'm trying to recall some work we did in the early 90s with Lead Free alloys
because it seems to me that there was a reduction in surface tension rather
than an increase. In fact, we had serious issues with accelerated solder
climb on leads like SOTs that starved the connection area because the
available solder was up the lead rather than in the connection.
Solderability and flux performance being a given.
Is that incorrect - or - is it alloy specific?
Dr John would know but he has moved on to bigger fish and it appears that
Dave H. is on vacation.

Mel Parrish
Director, Training Materials and Resources
Soldering Technology International
102 Tribble Drive
Madison, AL 35758
256 705 5530