TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
"Miller, Greg @ DISPLAYS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:24:59 -0400
Having formulated a number of UV curable solder masks in previous years, I
do know that the IPC used to have a specs that required exposure to
solvents, including methylene chloride.  With UV's, more cure equals a
higher crosslink density...and hence....better resistance to solvents (and
flux absorption).  There is instrumentation to help characterize cure, but
it is not straight forward for the average user.  Thermal cure chemistries
generally give (gave) better performance than UV's since many UV's use
smaller chain epoxy acrylate monomers (diluents) that just don't offer as
much bond strength as polymers with BPA resins.