TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:01:05 -0700
Kaye: Most of all the new generation LPI soldermasks have pretty much the
same numbers regarding moisture absorption i.e. they are not orders of
magnitude apart. The biggest issue is making sure they are properly
proportioned and cured, everybody wants to cut the cure cycle.

This reminds me of one of our design engineers. We had a polyamide board,
which has a tendency to absorb moisture, and he wanted to apply soldermask
normally over the surface of the board and also around all the exposed
routed edges and NPT holes. He was convinced that moisture was "pouring" in
thru these exposed areas. He wanted to "seal" the board with soldermask by
painting in mask on all these exposed areas. A processing nightmare.
I would be the first to agree that moisture can propagate from exposed
edges. However, thank God testing revealed any moisture penetration was
minimal and with PROPER design it was not necessary.

If your design is that sensitive you will not be able to limit moisture
absorption by trying to use soldermask as a poorman's conformal coat. It
will not effectively "encase" the board.

Perhaps our design fellow left Fluke is now working for Keithly.

Regards

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer

Fluke Corp.