TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Adam Seychell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:31:51 +1000
I am interested in learning more about laminating dry film
photoresists using the "wet lamination" technique.

I have experimented wet laminating at room temperature, followed
by heating the boards in an oven at 70°C (150°F) for 5 minutes.
The film gives good adhesion to the copper after this heating
step. However, one of the problems is that immediately after
rolling, the film is primarily sticking to the copper surface via
water tension, making it a problem to handle. Another major
problem is trapped air inside the drilled holes, which latter
expand during the heating step, and cause the film to lift around
each of the holes. The film near holes looks damaged once it has
cooled.

How does conventional wet lamination handle trapped air ? Does
trapped air cause problems ? I suspect the cooling of the panel
after lamination creates a small vacuum in the holes, thereby not
causing any real problems.

Basically I'm am designing a small dry film laminating machine,
and like to use the idea of applying wet technique. The idea is
to continuously pump filtered heated water (say 50°C / 120°F) in
the immediate area where the dry film and panel first contact
between the rollers. I'm hoping the flowing water will be the
heat source for the lamination while it also washing away surface
dust contamination.

Adam