DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
DUTTON Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:55:19 +1000
Hello Mark,

I hope that I can help here, this can be hard to visualise and explain.
In the case of the external land, you are concerned with having enough annular ring to avoid breakout, hence it's the internal edge of the hole that will cause a problem.
With the internal land, the 'breakout' of the hole barrel will occur on it's outside diameter.
As the hole is drilled oversize to allow it to plate to it's finished size, insufficient annular ring here will allow the internal land to be 'broken' out by the drill and you will not get the full circumferential connection to the internal land that you are expecting. Hence, to achieve the same minimum annular ring that you have designed for on the external layer land, you need to consider the plating thickness for the internal land.

regards,

Phil.