DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Raymond F Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:55:47 -0400
Peel strength of the PCB material is a major concern when soldering wires
to SMT pads.
For static boards using 26-30 gauge wire on FR4, I typically use a 0.040
x 0.080" pad and
occasionally use a 0.030 x 0.060" as a minimum size in dense areas.
Smaller size pads tend to lift during high temperature soldering or rough
handling.

Raymond Smith
Sr. PCB Design
Elcom Technologies