TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:41:05 -0500
Hi gang! I know that Phil Hinton has provided some information to TechNet
on the use of palladium surface finished assemblies for sour gas/downhole
electronic applications. Those assemblies also utilized Sn96Ag4 solder
alloys due to the harsh use environment. Collins has complete a series of
investigations looking at electroless Ni/Immersion or Electroless Pd/
Immersion Au as a board finish. This Ni/Pd/Au is shown itself to be a
"silver bullet" finish as it is both wirebondable and solderable - without
having solder joint embrittlement issues. The finish is ideal of Chip On
Board assembly applications. The biggest issue with this finish is board
fabricator availability - not many users thus no incentive for the board
fabricators to have the chemistry bath(s). Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

                      Don Vischulis
                      <dvischulis@earth        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      link.net>                cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  Re: [TN] Electro-Plated Ni/Pd/Au vs [ENIG]
                      <TechNet@listserv
                      .ipc.org>

                      06/24/2003 09:09
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to Don
                      Vischulis

Sorry to weigh in so late on this subject.  In the high reliability world,
there is at least one (maybe more) fabricator capable of plating a highly
controlled Ni/Au/Pd finish.  I never learned their name, but they competed
with one of my former employers.  If my memory is correct, this is the
preferred finish for down hole drilling circuitry.  This finish has also
been specified on various high technology (high layer count, fine line,
high reliability) products.  Many of those (non-down hole) prints also
permit ENIG as an alternate.

My understanding is that for anything other than extreme operating
environments there isn't much difference between the two finishes.  Perhaps
one of the other contributors with more high reliability experience would
care to comment.  Technet formerly had a member employed in the down hole
instrumentation industry.....pity he isn't contributing any longer.

Don Vischulis