TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
JaMi Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:29:34 -0700
Bill and Steve,

The "K" for "Cathode" dates back to the initial release of ANSI Y32.2, where
in the discussion on identifying the terminals of semiconductors, where they
had already discussed "B", "C", and "E", for identifying the Base,
Collector, and Emmiter of a transistor respectively, then continued, and
when discussing a diode, they ised "A" for the Anode, and so as to not cause
confusion, they used "K" as the designator for Cathode. Ironically, the spec
never specifically stated that one should use "K" for the Cathode of a
diode, and it clearly stated that it was only using it to avoid confusion in
the discussion. The actual "Official" pictoral symbol for the diode did not
in fact have any identifiers.

Throughout the years there has always been one group of people, who based on
their understanding of Y32.2 have insisted on using "K" for the Cathode of a
diode, and there has alos been another group of people who have insisted on
using "C" for the Cathode.

Either way, "K" or "C" has always indicated the Cathode of the diode.

For those that might not know, the Cathode end of the diode is always the
end of the diode that has the band or stripe.

Again, for those that might not know, on a schematic, the "triangle" or
"arrowhead" end of the symbol is always the Anode, and the "bar" or straight
"line" is the Cathode. This is fairly easy to remember if you just remember
that the large "A" (for Anode) looks like the "triangle" or "arrowhead", and
the "bar" or "line" looks like the "band" on the actual part.

Regarding the comments respecting the "tradition" in the olden days, there
never was any use of "pin numbers" to identify either diodes or capacitors
prior to the advent of "cad systems". Polorized capacitors were ALWAYS
identified by a "+" (plus) symbol, absolutely without exception (although
sometimes you might also find both ends of the capacitor identified), and
diodes were ALWAYS identified by a line indicating the "band", again
absolutely without exception (unless the entire diode symbol including both
the "band" and the "triangle" was used).

Once again, prior to "cad systems", there were no pin numbers used on diodes
or capacitors. period.

JaMi

* * * * *