TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
JaMi Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:31:08 -0700
Steve,

There is no "industry standard" for pin numbers on diodes.

A designer / engineer will usually assign pin numbers to an individual part
based on the way that the pin numbers are specified on the manufacturers
datasheet for that specific individual part. This may in fact even change
from datasheet to datasheet and manufacturer to manufacturer for the same
part type in the same package.

A designer /engineer may also arbitrarily change the pin numbers to make an
attempt to standardize a particular part with other parts in his design or
his component libraries, simply because he wants to try and keep all of his
parts the same.

More often than not, a designer / engineer will simply use the "component
part" which is already pre-defined in the component library of his cad
system. Pin numbers for diodes and capacitors may differ from part to part
with a different package style within a given component library on a given
cad system, and even from one compinent library to another within that same
cad system. Pin numbers may also differ for the identical part from the
component library of one cad system to the same part in another component
library of another cad system, which is why you may see a difference in pin
numbers for the identical part from one of your customers to another
customer. You may even see different pin numbers on the same part from the
same customer, simply because the design was worked on by a different
designer / engineer.

Pin nunbers can even vary due to the method of packaging in order to conform
to EIA Standards for Tape and Reel

This is why you cannot rely on pin numbers to determine the polarity of any
part.

Every Diode, just like every polarized Capacitor, should have it's polarity
clearly marked on at least the Assembly Drawing, and preferrably also on the
Board itself. If not, then consult the designer / engineer.

Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never
Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never
Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never
Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never NeverNever Never Never Never
Never Never Never Never Never under any circumstances whatsoever take it
upon yourself to "manually rotate the part within [your] CAM system to stay
consistent with what [your] operators typically see on their visual aids".

YOU MUST INSTALL THE PART WITH THE CORRECT POLARITY IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT THE
PIN NUMBERS ARE.

IF YOU CANNOT DETERMINE THE CORRECT POLARITY, STOP EVERYTHING UNTIL YOU CAN
CONTACT THE DESIGNER / ENGINEER AND DETERMINE THE CORRECT POLARITY.

In an ideal world, Pin 1 would always conform to EIA Standards for packaging
the part on Tape and Reel, but even this is not always the case, Even here,
sometimes the size or shape of the part determines that it be packaged
differently. Sometimes the manufacturer just doesn't follow the EIA
Standards. This is why it is imparative that you contact the designer /
engineer whenever the polarity of a diode is not absolutely clear.

When it comes to polarized parts, never assume anything based on pin
numbers.

JaMi Smith

* * * * *