TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Tim Reeves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:19:30 -0700
Porosity of gold plating may be an issue. There are tests for gold porosity and Tyco/AMP has done work on this. I dealt with it in a case of a connector circuit board for a cable used for surgical equipment where the unit, cable and all, had to be sterilized in a dilute aqueous solution of peracetic acid, which is corrosive. The edge connectors, gold with Ni underplate over copper, corroded after several cycles (I don't know how many) of sterilization.

There are IPC test methods for testing gold porosity as well. IPC-TM-650 2.3.24 et al.

I know they at one time had a paper on their website dealing with gold porosity but I can't find it now. Here's a link to a more general paper, perhaps you could contact one of the authors of some of the other papers. It looks like Glenn Staudt would be quite knowledgeable in this area, based on the papers authored or co-authored by him. I don't know Mr. Staudt, so if you contact him, let him know the basis for my referral. (It's a guess)

http://www.amp.com/PRODUCTS/TECHNOLOGY/aurulrep.pdf

Tim Reeves