TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:35:44 -0500
Hi Bev! I would recommend that you vigorously pursue making your intern
position a "permanent intern" position. It has been my experience that when
times are tough losing the intern position is much less painful than laying
off a permanent position. Additionally, if you have access to a
local/regional university you can get some wonderful interns for a couple
of "tours of duty" before they graduate to the real world. Doug Pauls and I
have made the Materials Science & Engineering department at Iowa State
University our own intern/co-op farm system - we have/had some great "kids"
working on projects for us.  The students are eager, have fresh ideas and
think very much "out of the box". The only downside to using interns/co-ops
is the re-training aspects of when a new intern/co-op first starts and
teaching them the wisdom of consuming Mt. Dew or Diet Coke.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

                      Bev Christian
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      ET>                      cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  Re: [TN] Technical Question about Materials Labs
                      <TechNet@listserv
                      .ipc.org>

                      06/06/2003 01:56
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to Bev
                      Christian

George,
Now we are getting somewhere.  I like your comments about "never enough"
and "too much".

The reason I ask is that I run a captive lab with 5 people - manager,
chemist, materials scientist, seasoned tech and an intern in a company of
2000.  The latter is leaving unexpectedly and I am trying to justify
turning the position into a full time one.  We have SIR, EM, x-sectioning,
viscometers, DSC, TMA, DMA, TGA, strain gages, solder pots, tensile
testers, FTIR, XRF, IC, SERA, SEC, ICP, Thermoire and SEM/EDX.  Sounds like
I am spoiled in the present environment, but how in the world do you keep
everything in tip top shape with only two people?!!!!

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion