TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Doug Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:07:31 -0500
Bev,
I think it depends greatly on the nature of the work.  A lab setup to do
incoming inspection of items, quality checks, etc., can be more accurately
forecasted based on production schedules and sampling plans.  If the lab is
doing failure analysis work or process troubleshooting, it is much more
variable.  We are more based on the latter and our work goes in gusts.  Mr.
Hillman and I vary in workload throughout the year.  Some months we are
buried in work and other months we are REALLY buried in work.  The better
your process control, the less work coming in from that.  Another factor is
whether your lab rats are doing customer service.  When at CSL, I had to
split time between talking with clients, writing the reports, and doing the
work.  I could have gotten more done if not on the phone, but hey.  I think
it also depends on the level of automation in the equipment, labor
intensive vs automated (e.g. autosamplers).

Doug Pauls

                      Bev Christian
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      ET>                      cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  [TN] Technical Question about Materials Labs
                      <TechNet@listserv
                      .ipc.org>

                      06/06/2003 12:51
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to Bev
                      Christian

Technetters,
This question is directed mainly at the "lab rats" out there.

Are there any rules of thumb that are used to determine the appropriate
level of staffing a lab to support an electronics manufacturing
process/plant/company?  Based on what - square footage of lab, plant,
number of people in company?  Obviously it is also related to the
complexity of the product(s) and $$ in the pocket of the company.   Just
curious.  Any of you independent labs willing to wade in on this one?
Susan?  Terry?

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion