TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Collins Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:05:29 -0400
Hi Fred
That's a million dollar question.  Preferred chemistry for conformal
coating is like asking what is the preferred car - compact, sports,
mini-van, SUV???

You may want to search the archives for some info, as well the IPC
document IPC-HDBK-830, Guidelines for Design, Selection and Application
of Conformal Coatings.

Criteria to consider are the four Ws:  end use environment (where),
reliability requirements (what lawsuit results when it fails), lifespan
requirements (when is it acceptable for it to fail), and what you are
trying to accomplish by coating - moisture resistance, debris, insect
issues?  (why).

We use urethane and acrylic in this facility, as well as parylene in
others.

have a good weekend.

regards,

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
Northrop Grumman Canada Corporation
Halifax
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/06/03 09:52AM >>>
What is the preferred chemistry for conformal coating? I hear a lot
are
using Acrylic, is that Air dried?