TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Tegehall Per-Erik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:54:07 +0200
Dave,
There are several other studies that confirm the formation of Au0.5Ni0.5Sn4 on top of Ni3Sn4. This IMC layeris formed at a quite a short time at temperatures above 100 degree C. Below is a list of references to some of them.

A. Eslambolchi, P. Johnson, M. Kaufmann och Z. Mei, Electroless Ni/Immersion Au Evaluation – Final Program Report, Electronic Assembly Development Center, Hewlett-Packard, Palo Alto, 1998.

K. Zeng och K.N. Tu, Six Cases of Reliability Study of Pb-free Solder Joints in Electronic Packaging Technology, Materials Science and Engineering R, Vol. 38, 2002, sida 55-105.

R. Darveaux, K. Banerji, A. Mawer och G. Dody, Reliability of Plastic Ball Grid Array Assembly, J.H. Lau (Ed.), Ball Grid Array Technology, McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1995, Kapitel 13.

H.G. Song, J.P. Ahn, A.M. Minor och J.W. Morris, Au-Ni-Sn Intermetallic Phase Relationships in Eutectic Pb-Sn Solder Formed on Ni/Au Metallization, Journal of Electronic Materials, April 2001, Vol. 30, Issue 4, sida 409-414, http://www.lbl.gov/morris/private/papers.html.

A.M Minor och J.W. Morris, Jr., Growth of Au-Ni-Sn Intermetallic Compound on the Solder-Substrate Interface After Aging, Metall. Mater. Trans, A, 31A, 2000, p. 789. http://www.lbl.gov/morris/private/papers.html.

A.M. Minor och J.W. Morris, Inhibiting Growth of the Au0.5Ni0.5Sn4 Intermetallic Layer in Pb-Sn Solder Joints Reflowed on Au/Ni Metallization, Journal of Electronic Materials, October 2000, Vol. 29, Issue 10, sida 1170-1174. http://www.lbl.gov/morris/private/papers.html.

Per-Erik Tegehall
IVF
Sweden