DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:09:40 -0700
Hi Roger,

IPC 2221 part 3.2 and 3.21 refer to the need to review and establish the
'end product requirements', of which the 'specifications' would be a part,
at the BEGINNING of any project or PRIOR to the Design phase. You do it
exactly right, of course.

Most of the designers I know that work on contractual basis provide a quote
based on 'first pass' and charge by the hour for ANY deviation from the
original design quote, including all changes thereafter. Sort of like the
Earl Scheib "I will paint your car for 29.95.. 'BUT, in the fine print...
if you want anything extra, you tack on the additional charges at the shop
labor rate of 60.00 an hour.' Etc.. etc.. Otherwise you have the unfortunate
experiences like the one you went through...  I'm sure there are
testimonials to that effect out there...

I think as an engineer you are not so rare, there are other PCB Designers
that have engineering degrees and do their own boards, too.. Bravo! Now if
you can train someone to support you... there will be an increase your
throughput.. instead of just being an "Army of one"  - :)

The Impedance question I'll leave to someone else.. I've been flapping by
virtual jaw too much today already.. :)

Bill Brooks