LEADFREE Archives

June 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Paul Chinery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:43:08 +0100
We have spent 12 months researching the compliance status of original IC
manufacturers and all the evidence to date suggests there are no backward
compatible issues apart from perhaps tin whiskers, which I am not qualified
to comment on.

Moreover, it is quite possible that OEM's have already used Pb-free devices
in traditional Sn Pb solder processes without realising.  Texas Instruments
have been shipping lead free product since 1989 (Ni Pd finish) and claim to
have more than 30 billion Pb-free device in the field.  Linear Technology
used a matte-tin terminal finish on surface mount SOIC packages between 1983
and 1988 with "excellent quality and reliability performance in the field".

It is worth noting that early, and many current lead free devices are not
necessarily RoHS compliant.  Some contain other banned substances from the
directive (notably PBB and PBDEs), while much of Texas Instruments Pb-free
offerings have a maximum temperature rating of 220 /c.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Paul Chinery
Dionics plc