LEADFREE Archives

June 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Guenter Grossmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:35:43 +0200
Keith, Eric

Regarding the fun of wave soldering. I agree that the thermal demand of a PCB is a mayor issue to look at when the solder temperature is to be set. What I am curious about is the question of the thermal mass of the solder pot and the heat transfer:
- Assuming an industrial wave solder machine with roughly 600 kg of solder, the thermal mass of a PCB is negligible
- Then comes the argument, that the wave itself is only a fraction of the mass of the solder pot. Thus the rate of solder pumped into the wave must become important which also influences the heat transfer of the solder to the PCB.

Did someone ever look into the issue of the influence of the amount of solder flowing into the pump onto superheat?

Best regards

Guenter

EMPA
Swiss Federal Laboratories  for Materials Testing and Research
Centre for Reliability
Guenter Grossmann,  Senior Engineer

8600 Duebendorf
Switzerland