TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
Tom Gervascio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 13:02:34 -0500
Trying to get some feedback. We been using a couple of ORL0 no-cleans and
to date the customers have had us cleaning them. A new customer wants us to
go no-clean. Being on a short fuse, they didn't want to run a full blown
S&IR and electromigration but a ROSE test with an acceptance value of 10
micrograms/sq inch. Vendor A's no clean have me an Omegameter reading of 60
micrograms/sq in after running thru a simulated wave solder process using
foam flux application and Vendor B's no clean produce a value of 9.7
micrograms/sq in. (using the identical process).

This picqued my curosity so I took some copper clad laminate and cleaned
it , oxidized it and applied both fluxes to the topside and heated the
panel to 250 F. Both produced some green oxide (I assume cupric oxide since
both fluxes should be halide free) with Vendor A producing a dense green
layer almost immediately.

Haven't run an electromigration test yet but this doesn't leave me with a
real warm and fuzzy- at least with Vendor A's flux. Is it reasonable to
expect copper corrosion with a flux that passes S&IR and electromigration
testing.

Commments?