TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
"Kasprzak, Bill (sys) USX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 08:10:55 -0400
Hello all,

I've been following these threads concerning firewalls and anti-virus.

Here at work, I assume that our IT dept has provided the necessary
safeguards to protect our PC's. At home, however, it's a different story. I
have installed name brand anti-virus software where I periodically go to the
net to get upgrades. I also discard any emails from unknown sources from my
ISP.

Now the talk is about firewalls. What exactly does this do that anti-virus
does not do? It also sounds like these firewalls are available for "free"?
One post recommended one while another warned of consequences using the some
software. Can someone clear up the confusion on this?

Sorry about perpetuating this thread that really doesn't belong here but the
discussion has me curious whether I need to add more protection to my PC.

Thanks.

Bill Kasprzak
Moog Inc, Electronics Process Engineering