TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
"Tempea, Ioan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 10:32:05 -0400
Hi Ofer,

it seems that you start seeing the lead free craze. It's coming and it will
hit us all big time. So you better prepare for this, a good start is
http://www.leadfree.org/.

Now, as for the new IC finishes only, you should not have concerns with
higher temps, they are supposed to solder with the regular SnPb37 recipes.
The difference will come when you will start using the lead-free paste and
solder bars. This needs higher temperatures.

Now, these are the rough lines, I will not tell you about the tin whiskers,
in case the component leads are pure tin plated. I will not tell you either
about the Pd plating, that might push you to bump up the temperatures.

Regards,
Ioan